Sunday, September 12, 2010

Wisdom

Raindrops on roses and whispers on kittens. Don't you just love Mary Poppins? I know, I know--that song is from The Sound of Music, but those two movies are inextricably connected.

My daughter's having her wisdom teeth pulled right now, and I was going to sing that song to her, but I didn't want to punish her. It's going to be a long day, but maybe with a spoonful of sugar, we'll make it!

I had mine out just before my sophomore year at college at the University of Wisconsin-Madison. We had a week before classes started when we had to be on campus to register. We had to walk around to different buildings to register; we didn't know if the class we wanted was available until we read the posted sign. Anyway, I went to Madison for Reg Week, with swollen cheeks and a painful mouth. Since Reg Week in Madison was really "Party" Week, I used wine as well as Advil to dull the pain!

Abby made it through the first 24 hours without too many incidents. I'll never drink a chocolate shake again after watching what she did to hers, but that's about it. We also discovered that she does NOT like vicadin, but thankfully Advil did the job. After seeing her friends for a little while this afternoon, she had a milkshake for dinner and called it a night. 

The most touching moment on this little adventure came last night. Abby was planning to sleep downstairs on the couch because the doctor told her it would be better for her to sit up a bit. I don't move up and down stairs quickly, so Abby knew she'd be pretty much alone after I went to bed. Andy offered to sleep downstairs with her. Abby looked at him like he gave her the greatest gift in the world! Before YOU get all teary-eyed, Andy said he would sleep downstairs IF they watched what he wanted to watch on TV! It was a sweet moment while it lasted. They both ended up getting something--Abby had company and Andy got a free pass to sleep downstairs and watch TV. I'm sure they both thought of their favorite things!

1 comment:

  1. Shari, I love your blog! Your take on everyday events is comical is heartwarming.
    Diane Herczeg

    ReplyDelete