Monday, September 20, 2010

Lottery Winner?


I logged on to the SuperLotto Plus website to check my lottery ticket numbers, knowing I would lose. As I pulled the ticket out of my wallet, I knew that none (or maybe one) of the numbers would match up. I knew I would lose. Even as that negative, "I know I'm going to lose" thought went through my head, in the very back of my mind was the thought that if I DID win, I'd be able to say in interviews how I thought I'd lose for sure.

While we were dreaming about winning, we, of course, talked about what we would do with millions of dollars. Trips to New York on a private jet to see Wicked on Broadway topped the kid's list, while a cruise to Alaska topped mine. Make that a Disney cruise to Alaska and everyone's happy!

Then we got altruistic and talked about how we would help others with the money. Scholarships for kids to go on school-sponsored trips topped that list. As a middle-income family, we do not qualify for many financial programs that are available. If we won the lottery, I'd like to help families like ours achieve their goals.

Now, in the wake of the San Bruno explosion, I would also help families to rebuild their dreams. For those of you who don't know, a community in San Bruno, less than a mile from Skyline College, was engulfed in a gas-fueled fire last week. The scene looked like a blow torch was coming out of the sidewalk. Several people died and many more were injured. Homes were lost, and stories of people literally running for their lives abounded. One of my students lost a close friend; others lost their homes, or hosted friends who lost homes. They started contacting me within hours of the tragedy, explaining why they couldn't come to class or turn in a pending assignment. Taking the time to contact your teacher in the midst of a crisis? That's dedication!

I wish I had some words of wisdom for these people, but in truth they don't need words--they need action. On my end, I will do everything possible to protect their education. Winning the lottery would help, but in the meantime I can offer compassion, understanding, and time.

No comments:

Post a Comment