Thursday, March 10, 2011

Texting

How do you know when you're not spending enough time with your friends? When you end up texting back and forth on 3 different subjects at the same time! The other night our alarm went off at 1:30 in the morning. After stopping the sirens, and ensuring that it was a false alarm, I called the alarm company to cancel the police. I didn't realize that, since I didn't answer my phone (I thought it was a dream), the company called my emergency contact.
 
Cindy texted me the next day saying she had a strange message on her cell phone. Some woman, who didn't identify herself, wanted her to call back and verify MY address. So, this was texting topic number one. While I had her "on the line," I shared a story about a Kaiser employee helping me. I had been whining about Kaiser for a while and I wanted to share a positive encounter. This was also a reminder to myself to notice and accept cranberries.
That was texting topic number 2.

Texting topic number 3 was just planning for Cindy to accompany me to a talk I'm giving next month. So, just three normal conversations, one philosophical; two logistical. All through texting.

Of course, none of this is remarkable, it just made me reflect on a couple of things: what did we do before cell phones and how important it is to spend time (real, face-to-face time) with friends. The truth is that if Cindy and I hadn't logged so many hours together, we never could have had a philosophical discussion over text messages!

No comments:

Post a Comment